Master's Degree Programmes 
Language requirements

For all Master’s Degree programmes, Ca’ Foscari requires a certified knowledge of English language at B2 minimum: verification of understanding, depending on the degree programme, it is required at the moment of enrolment or before obtaining the degree. To find out which category your chosen degree programme falls into (English proficiency at time of enrolment or afterwards) check the webpage of the master’s degree programme concerned.

Meeting your Language Requirements

Prior to enrolment, you can choose from the following options:

  • Obtain certification from an officially recognised certifying body or a certificate from the CLA centre or from a university language school on the list in the Recognised Certification section;
  • Provide evidence that you belong to one of the exemption categories listed below;
  • Attend one of the fee-paying classroom courses held during the normal CLA calendar: at the end of the course you will take a test showing that you have attained Level B2;
  • Take a fee-paying language test at the CLA centre according to the procedures laid down in the relevant webpage.

Certificates obtained at the conclusion of the CLA courses or external certification must be uploaded in electronic format when completing your enrolment application. Certificates must attest to the verification of all four abilities. The only intermediate level certification accepted is certification for proficiency at Level B 2.2 and above.

Preparing for your test

The University offers a variety of online and/or classroom courses to support you in your preparation for the English test: access procedures, dates and further information can be found online on the CLA website on the page dedicated to support courses.


You can be exempted from the language test if you fall into one of the following categories:

  • you attended and completed higher education studies or at least one year of college in a country in which English is the medium of instruction;
  • you acquired a qualification (high school diploma or university qualification) in Italy or abroad at the conclusion of a period of studies taught entirely in English;
  • during your high school studies you carried out at least one full year of exchange at an institution whose language of instruction was English;
  • you have one of the following qualifications:

    • a degree obtained prior to D.M. 509/1999 in Foreign Languages and Literature, Modern Languages and Literature, Translation, for interpreters, translation and interpretation with regard to English only following a degree course lasting at least three years;
    • a degree obtained under D.M. 509/1999 in Class 11 Languages and modern cultures or Class 3 in Language Mediation with a study plan including a three-year English language course;
    • a degree obtained under D.M. 270/2004 in Class L-11 Modern Languages and Cultures or Class L-12 Language Mediation with a study plan including a three-year English language course.

Last update: 02/07/2024