Master of Research in Science and Management of Climate Change
2nd-level Master of Research
Call and open day
The call for the Sixth Edition a.y. 2023/2024 is closed.
Didactic activities and calendar of lessons
tel. (+39) 041 234 8530
Enrolment procedures and internships
Presentation and Objectives
Climate change is one of the main challenges facing the planet's population. The World Economic Forum ranks climate change and the failure to implement effective policies among the top five economic risks for the business world. Its impacts are pervasive and deeply interrelated with all aspects of our society. Hence the need to prepare professional leaders with a high-level scientific profile thanks to the integration of the Master with the PhD Programme in Science and Management of Climate Change.
The Master of Research in Science and Management of Climate Change is a 1-year programme aimed at creating experts capable of managing the complex and multi-faceted dimensions of the grand challenges posed by climate risk by integrating the scientific and socio-economic aspects in a unique programme. It prepares experts with a broad and thorough scientific background in economics, climate science, valuation techniques, and with specific modelling skills.
During this Master you will learn to understand and synthesize the biophysical and socio-economic nature of climate change, evaluate the socio-economic implications of climate change risks, and design innovative policy solutions and risk management strategies. You will acquire familiarity with a suite of methodological, analytical, statistical and modelling tools you will be able to apply in order to:
- Explain the physical and economic nature of climate change and their uncertainty
- Assess the socio-economic impacts of climate change, their costs and benefits
- Estimate and manage climate change risk
- Analyze, evaluate, and design innovative climate policy solutions
- Assess the economic costs and benefits of mitigation and adaptation policies and projects
- Conceive transformational pathways in the context of sustainable development
- Synthesize and communicate the different dimensions of climate change and their uncertainties to different users
|Brochure of the edition 2023/2024||2.12 M|
|Presentation a.y. 2023/2024||294 K|
|Open day 2023 - Presentation||1.08 M|
|Welcome day - Presentation||779 K|
Total places available: 15
Duration of programme: one year
Period: September 2023 - September 2024
Teaching method: classroom lectures
Location: Ca’ Foscari Challenge School - Venezia Marghera (VEGA Venice Scientific Technological Park - Porta dell'Innovazione Building) / San Giobbe Campus
Syllabus and learning activities
The Sixth edition of the Master 2023/2024 will have a curriculum articulated in 12 courses and 3 labs corresponding to a total of 72 credits (360 hours of lessons, lab activities with tools and software, design, and presentation of individual/group projects).
Edition 2023/2024 curriculum will be articulated into two streams:
- Climate Economics and Finance: Decision theory, Climate-economy modelling, Applied environmental economics, Climate policies, Climate finance, Energy systems and technologies
- Climate Modelling and Impact Assessments: Chemo-dynamics, Climate change and environmental quality, Climate monitoring and modelling, Risk Assessment and Decision Support System for Environmental Impacts of Climate Change, Adaptive Management of Natural Resources and Agricultural Systems, Climate Damage Modelling and Assessment, Energy systems and technologies
The first period includes a common curriculum and offers 6 basic courses, Foundations:
Mathematics, Statistics, Econometrics and Machine learning, Climate dynamics, Environmental and climate economics, Climate of the past.
Thanks to the Master’s inclusion in a network of many international organizations and local entities, students will have the opportunity to do their internships choosing among a wide range of institutes, organizations, national and international companies (a list is available upon request).
Students attending the Master in Science and Management of Climate change are required to do a 250-hour internship. Below is a list of the institutes, organizations, companies, we have been collaborating with but each edition new opportunities arise.
JOBS IN TRANSITIONS virtual meetings are informal dialogues aimed at showing what are the jobs, professional figures and roles that are working on the ground to make the energy and the ecological transition a reality.
Jobs in transition #1: discussion with ènostra
Jobs in transition #2: discussion with the InterAmerican Development Bank and the World Bank
Jobs in transition #3: discussion with Carbonsink and Soutpole
How to enrol
The new call for the Sixth Edition 2023-2024 is now open. Apply now!
|Master's presentation||294 K|
|Call for applications a.y. 2023/2024||465 K|
|Self-certification of qualification||120 K|
|Master's Scholarship Grant - Deloite company||163 K|
|How to enrol to single modules||22 K|
|Selections - Oral exams||103 K|
|Final ranking||242 K|
The online procedure involves two stages, each of which is obligatory in order to participate in the selection process:
- Registration on the university website (www.unive.it/registrazione), after which candidates are assigned a username and password with which the candidate will be able to access the reserved area for the next phase of the application.
If you already have these login credentials for the reserved area (for example former university students), this phase is skipped.
- Fill in the application form, accessing the reserved area and following the route https://esse3.unive.it, Menù > eng > Login
During the online procedure the candidate must attach the following documents in electronic format:
- Self-certification confirming that you have the necessary qualification;
- Curriculum vitae;
- Photocopy of a valid ID document;
- Any other documents that may be requested for admission to the chosen Master.
At the end of the online procedure, the candidate will receive an email confirming that the application has been submitted.
Scholarships and loans
Loans are available from the University's partner banks.
A full grant will be financed by the company Deloitte Climate & Sustainability s.r.l. Società Benefit; the student beneficiary must carry out the internship at the company.
Selection fee: € 36 (inclusive of €16 stamp duty)
Non-refundable, to be paid by July 11 2023 when submitting the application of admission, through PagoPA. Failure to pay the contribution will result in the exclusion of the selection process and possible admission to the Master.
Enrolment fee and study support
The enrolment fee corresponds to € 6,000 (in two instalments).
Study grants are available covering the whole or part of the enrolment fee. Students can finance their course through facilitated loans [IT] granted by banking institutions affiliated with the University.
Last update: 22/11/2023